Tuesday 6 March 2012

Tops Tuesdays!

Tops Tuesday is keeping me sane. It reminds me that there are good things (sometimes even great things!) about Japan but also gives me perspective and an outlet for my frustrations by allowing me to select something as 'Not Tops.' Find out what drives me bananas/insane this week after the jump...



Tops
Hanami (cherry blossom viewing) and Springtime

Today has been the warmest so far this year at 18 degrees. I used to shudder at the mere contemplation of any temperature below 20 degrees but this is welcome relief after one of the most frigid winters on record. To think it was snowing great chunks of ice just last Wednesday, and now the sun is shining and the pink buds on the Sakura trees are edging their way towards full bloom. Only a couple more weeks now and this place will be a pink paradise!

Not Tops

Aforementioned Frigid Winters

I have already mentioned before that this is simply not on. Why do people choose to live in sub temperatures like this? There are reasons the arctic regions are largely inhabitable. Because humans weren't meant to be cold. Not to mention the poor insulation problems and the lack of central heating. Lift your game, Winter!

What are your favourite hanami hot-spot recommendations?

You might also enjoy:


6 comments:

  1. The plum blossoms are out and soon the cherry blossoms will be in bloom. The best places for hanami are usually the parks and castles in Japan. I look forward to seeing a hanami post from you during the cherry blossom season. Keep on posting :)

    Japan Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm originally from Minnesota back in the states. So, I've found the winters here in Nagano quite mild. Many foreigners here do find them quite rough, I guess I can't relate. haha The spring is great for cherry trees and times to meet with people on nice Friday nights. Also, everyone seems happy for about 2 weeks while the trees are in full bloom. I think that's my favorite thing about Spring. Actually, I tend to miss the winter quite a bit and get a bit depressed every Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went skiing in Nagano recently and I thought that was rough! I grew up in a place where in NEVER snows so these chilly winters are so strange to me. I definitely prefer spring over winter!

      Delete
  3. i just wanted to say how grateful i am for your blog.
    i'm a Kiwi hoping to apply for JET 2013, and i'm already nervous and scared, but so excited.
    reading through your entries has really helped to assuage those fears and make me realise that, though there will be hard time, i think i can get through them.
    so thank you. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eevee! Thank you so much for saying so! Sometimes I think I am just shouting noiselessly down into the void that is the Internet. Thank you for dropping by and I hope you continue to do so! All the best for your JET application this year ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...