Friday 24 February 2012

T.G.I.F.: Tokyo Marathon & Ito International Friendship Festival

Welcome to a double-edition of T.G.I.F. Fridays! This week we’ll look at the Tokyo Marathon as well as Ito’s International Friendship Festival! This weekend the Tokyo Marathon hails the beginning of spring and many more marathons to come. (I know I said T.G.I.F.s would focus predominately on Shizuoka events but with Tokyo only one hour away by shinkansen, how could I resist enjoying all that Tokyo has to offer while cheering on the sweaty hoards?) Meanwhile, Ito will be hosting an International extravaganza. Let’s jump straight in…!


Doesn’t it just always happen that you have nothing to do weekend after weekend and then all of a sudden a hundred different events that all sound interesting are scheduled  on the same day? Well, it has happened again. So much is happening this weekend, I would like to present two events for this week’s T.G.I.F. post…



Actually, one of my friends is running in the Tokyo Marathon this weekend and I really want to wish her all the best. The details are as thus:

Sunday, February 26, 2012
9:05 a.m. (Wheelchair Start)
9:10 a.m. (Elite and General Race Start)
10:50 a.m.10km Finish
16:10 p.m. Marathon Finish

The marathon will tour some of the highlights of Tokyo, including the Imperial Palace, Shinagawa, Ginza, Asakusa Kaminari-mon, Tsukiji Markets, and Tokyo Big Sight. For more information, please visit http://www.tokyo42195.org/2012_en/.


The second event I would like to present to you also occurs on Sunday February 26th: the Ito International Friendship Festival. There will be world cuisine available for purchase, traditional Japanese activities and stage performances. There are some videos of past events on YouTube (simply google ‘Ito International Friendship Festival’). Here are the details:

Sunday February 26th 11:00-15:00
In the Lobby of the Ito City Hall
Free Admission

More information can be obtained by calling 0557-32-4666 (within Japan) or emailing iair-pr@i-younet.ne.jp. Ito can easily be reached by taking the JR Tokai Line to Atami and switching to the JR Ito Line.

Which event are you thinking about attending this weekend?

Don’t forget to follow me on twitter!

Images courtesy of Sulekha.com and ValentinaM- (Flickr, Creative Commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...